The strip you see above you was the second (and final) attempt. I was happy with the script, but the first version (shown in inks and colors, below) just didn’t sit well with me. Specifically, I felt that the characters in the panel layouts weren’t exaggerated enough. The third panel was particularly awkward, as Pam’s shrug is half cut off. The visuals for the 4th panel – meant to reinforce the punchline – was also weak. So, I decided to start from scratch once again.
Interestingly, the first version was done purely with the tablet from start to finish. What I realized after drawing it was the following: As much as I enjoy working digitally, my brain is somehow still wired “analog” when it comes to developing the initial sketches.
So that’s exactly what I did with the final version. I sketched it out on paper, then inked it in Painter X. Like usual. Oh, and I’ve also been experimenting with using a thicker brush. Lemme know your thoughts…