I installed iOS7 last night on my wife’s iPhone4, my iPhone5 and our family iPad2. What follows is a brief rundown of my first impressions.
- the new UI is nimble and responsive, particularly on the iPhone5.
- the animated effects are well done and not annoying.
- global search is much easier to access as are commonly used controls (volume adjustment, flashlight, etc.)
- performance of iOS7 on the iPhone4 and iPad2 is good, not great – with a slight lag in places. Still usable, though.
- Installation takes a while, particularly over wi-fi. It took approximately half an hour to download the update to my iPhone5 and install the new OS. My recommendation is to tether your iOS device to your computer, and download the update from iTunes instead.
- the new Camera app is loads more responsive than the old one on my iPhone5.
With iOS7, Apple appears to have finally released a mature mobile operating system. There’s a world of difference in terms of overall fit and finish of the new OS. The minimal look only took a few minutes for me to get used to – and I really like it now. I can’t imagine going back to iOS6.
All in all, my first impressions of iOS7 are a good one. If you’re on the fence, I say: Take the plunge.